i promise that it really hasn't taken us this entire time to work on the bathroom, i've just been horrible at posting updates. we finished the tile and installed the toilet in march/april so we've had a mostly functioning bathroom for a few months now. the sink took more time (more on that later), but is installed. there are still a few little things that need to be completed, and we decided to wait on the closet project until after the baby.
on to the photos - after installing the floor tile, we began working on the wall tile. our old bathroom did not have any tile on the walls, but we loved the look of white subway tile, and felt that it was worth the extra effort to install it all the way around the room. since the floor wasn't exactly level, figuring out our level line was a little difficult.
meanwhile, we also began working on the ceiling. this bathroom had a lower ceiling and we were not sure why. in theory it was because the fan was vented to the exterior and they needed to drop the ceiling to run ducts for the vent. but, we could not see any vents on the exterior wall and i wasn't convinced that they had installed the fan correctly. the ceiling was also below the window height, which really bugged me. we talked about trying to raise the ceiling to at least clear the window, but after some investigation we discovered that half of the walls ended at the lower ceiling height and in the end, decided it wasn't worth the effort to gain a few more inches of space. and it turned out that the fan was vented, just through the roof. when we removed the tile above the shower (the ceiling of the shower was previously tiled), the gyp board came down with the tile. since the rest of the bathroom had a textured drywall ceiling that we thought would be impossible to match with our new gyp, we decided that the best thing to do would be to re-drywall the entire ceiling.
nice idea, but turns out that pregnant people can't really hold drywall above their heads for long periods of time... poor mike ended up doing some crazy acrobatics trying to hold the drywall with his head while balancing on a ladder and screwing it in place. luckily it all worked out. we also kept working on the wall tile, and started installing new trim around the doors and window. and yes, we were showering in that shower with the plastic walls.
fast forward a few weeks and the bathroom really started to come together. i apparently forgot to take photos, but this was the week that my parents were in town, so the extra people really helped with our progress.
what? distracted by the super cute dog? the bathroom has always been cooper's favorite space (something about dogs being cave animals), and now he loves it even more because the tile is nice and cool. i'm pretty sure he hangs on in there all day while we are at work. we also installed some extra trim around the window and now the fact that the window ends above the ceiling is not nearly as noticeable. we also had the tub reglazed to be white, and have been really happy with that decision so far.
can't help it... the sink had yet to be installed in these photos, but you can see the plumbing to the left of cooper. i'll do another post about the sink soon.
we used a gray grout on all of the tile and installed new stainless shower fixtures. love the rain shower head. the walls are painted a medium gray. the space is really difficult to take photos of, but i will try to take a few more now that the sink is installed.