Wesley's room 2.0

The very first room that we worked on in the new house was Wesley's room.  He did amazingly well with the transitions from St. Louis, to his temporary room at my parents' house, and finally to the new house. Even so, it was important to us to get him settled and "home" asap.

Wesley's nursery in St. Louis was one of my favorite rooms, and was one of the must difficult to leave.  It was a small room, but it worked well for our baby, and he slept in it every night starting with the first night home from the hospital.

IMG_2202

The above photo is from Wesley's room in St. Louis.  More info can be found here.

We had 2 rooms in the new house to consider for Wesley's room.  One was longer and more narrow, and the other one was more square in shape.  Both had 2 windows (one each a dormer), and good sized closets.  We decided that we liked the long, narrow room for Wesley.  It was closer to our room, plus we thought it would work well with his furniture.  We had also been thinking about painting Wesley's room the same dark blue as his previous nursery, and I thought that this room would work better with the darker color.


DSC_0671
The room had been painted green, and desperately needed a new paint job.  The hardwood floors upstairs should be refinished at some point, but they are in decent enough shape.  

DSC_0670

I like the dormer window nook, and can imagine that Wesley will have fun in this little corner of his room as he gets older.

We tested a few different blues and went with one that was slightly darker and deeper than the color we used in St. Louis.  The photo above is over-saturated, but it was still a little brighter than I wanted.  We also painted the sloped ceilings white to help offset the dark wall color.  The furniture is the same, although we swapped out his dresser for a larger one.  The gray dresser had been ours previously, but it didn't really fit in our new room.  

DSC_0351

This is the view from the hallway - we added a few prints that we found online - on for St. Louis, and one for Columbus.

DSC_0371

My mom was able to remake the curtains to fit the two smaller windows.  We made the curtain rods out of plumbing parts, spray painted black.  We also replaced the metal blinds with simple white wood blinds to help block the light.

DSC_0361

Here you can see the dresser.  The door near the crib is the door to the hall.  We are still using cloth diapers, so we hung the wet bag next to the changing pad, and keep the extra diapers in the top drawer.  We hung his animal prints over the dresser.  Now that he's starting talking, he likes to tell us about the bears and the lions :)

DSC_0356

The door to the left of the dresser is for the closet.

DSC_0360

Continuing the rest of the way around the room, we installed Wesley's bookshelves again, we liked how they worked in his old room.

DSC_0364

We read in this chair every evening.  The current favorites are Spot, and Curious George.  

So that's Wesley's room, and also the most complete room in the house.  We finished his room back in August or September, I just haven't had a chance to post about it.  I'd like to eventually replace the overhead light fixture, and I'm sure we'll switch out things as he gets older, but it works for now.

DSC_0366

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

4 Responses to Wesley's room 2.0

Unknown said...

Wesley's room looks great!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Wow, this room is so nice! It looks like a very good size, and I love your dark paint color! You have a great decorating style.

Call me Leen said...

So I found your blog through another home blog I love ^^^(Sara's) and over the past few days I started at the very start and am all caught up. Now I am super sad that you don't really post a lot anymore. But if you do ever see this, I just wanted to say how much I loved your blog (I can't diy to save my life but I love watching others success) and enjoyed your personal life too! Wesley is adorable & I LOVEEEE your dogs. Which brings me to a question I had. In the post about picking a new floor for the family room I noticed you now have three golden retrievers, but I hadn't seen a post where you got a new one. So I was just wondering when you did. Sorry, over the past few days I have gotten very invested in your life. :)

Katie said...

Leen-

Hello!! Thank you for such nice comments :)

I was wondering if anyone would notice the extra dog, haha. He is actually belongs to my aunt and uncle - he was staying with us for a little while. He was a great house guest but I think we confirmed that 3 dogs is a little much for us. He's back with his family now though.

I'd like to get back to blogging soon, I've always been more focused on house projects here and we are hoping to start that back up... we've taken some time off over the last year, but we are starting to miss it.

Take care!

search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.