netbook?

i'm going to start of by saying that computers are something that i have a hard time spending money on. i don't know why, i use one every day, both at work and at home. i think i just have a hard time justifying the cost of them, esp. when it seems that no matter when you buy one, it will be outdated only a few months later.

i got my first computer as a gift when i went away to college. (sidenote - i almost put how long ago that was. but seeing the number of years in writing kind of freaked me out a little). it was a sony desktop and it lasted me all 4 years. right about the time i graduated it started to have some problems, and i ended up using an old computer of mikes for the next couple of years. it was free and it worked and those were my requirements at the time. when i decided to go back to grad school i decided it was time to get a laptop. mike had a laptop that was a couple of years old, but again, it was free (to me) and it worked. i used it all through grad school even though i cursed it on a daily basis because it was the slowest thing ever once i installed photoshop and autocad. plus it was always crashing. about a year ago it finally just died and i've been using the desktop (something mike built a few years ago) since. do you see a pattern? i use a computer until it dies and then just rely on whatever computer mike has at the time. we have not gotten a new computer since we have been married.

long story short - i miss having a laptop. but i don't want to spend the money on a new one. if money was not an issue, i would get a macbook. maybe someday...

lately i've been thinking about getting a netbook instead. they are a couple of hundred less than a laptop, and really, would do almost everything i would need. plus they are smaller and lighter which could be nice, esp. since i will probably end up mostly using it while sitting on the couch.
anyone out there have a netbook? if so, what kind? any recommendations? i was reading some reviews of the samsung pictured above, seems like it could be a good option.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to netbook?

Allison aka Half of VAMH said...

What about an iPad? Not sure how much that netbook runs but I would LOVE an ipad!

MinnaBrynn said...

We got a netbook for Christmas from my inlaws. It's an HP, but I don't know anything more than that. I don't use it for much more than internet and Word, but I like it. Battery life isn't long, but I carry the charger with me so it's not really an issue. There's limited memory, but again, just carry a thumb drive/memory card and it's not much of an issue. My biggest peeve is that since there's no cd drive, any software etc. must be installed via download. Other than that, I like ours. I carry it with me almost daily and use it regularly. But I've never had a laptop so I can't compare to that.

Rachel said...

If you're just going to use it for the internet it'd be good, but no CD drive and little memory might get annoying. It would be nice if you want to take it with you everywhere since it's so little. For my money I'd rather spend a little more and get a full laptop.

search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.